Willpower, for emergency use only

Uncategorized Oct 08, 2018
 

Are you relying on discipline (a.k.a willpower) to eat healthy and become your best self?

If so, keep reading to learn a few important things you need to know about willpower.

This might sound familiar, because you’ve been there, I’ve been there, we’ve all been there. You vow to take a break from your “guilty pleasures,” because you want to look or feel better. You’re walking around feeling empowered and confident, because you’re able to walk right past the doughnuts and cookies that used to be undeniable.

Then one day, you skip breakfast, wait too long to eat lunch, or someone rubs you the wrong way at work and puts you in a bad mood. Then, just your luck, your coworker happens to bring in your favorite pastry. But…that’s not going to stop you, so you walk right by it! But as you sit in your office, you can’t seem to stop thinking about the deliciousness waiting for you down the hall. Finally, you can’t resist anymore and walk back to the breakroom. You grab one and try to sneak back (hopefully unnoticed). It’s delicious, but then the guilt and shame kick in…you broke your winning streak.

Is willpower to blame...

What the heck happened? Was your willpower to blame? Well, research on willpower has shown that it’s a depletable source that can be affected by overuse (like making a lot of tough decisions) and challenging or stressful situations. It’s also affected by nutrition (especially blood sugar). Think of it like a battery losing its charge the more it’s used.  

A few powerful strategies...

Starting with these strategies will help you power through those “weak moments” on your road to looking and feeling your best.

First, when you make a new change in your life, like avoiding sweets, you are relying heavily on willpower. After you do it for a while, it gets easier.  This probably seems like your willpower is getting stronger, but you are forming and strengthening a new habit. Habits don’t require willpower, so then you can save it willpower until you really need it…like the pastry dilemma earlier.               

Second, don’t undervalue the power of physiology and your blood sugar when it comes to willpower. If you skipped lunch and come home hungry to some convenient chips or cookies, before you know it, you’ll be down to the crumbs! So, get your body working for you not against you by not skipping meals, having healthy snacks on hand, and maintaining your blood sugar with meals balanced with fat, carbohydrate, and protein. 

Finally, your nutrition plan shouldn’t be unrealistically strict. It’s not about a short-term, miserable diet you hate, but more about finding a long term healthy lifestyle that you enjoy and makes you feel your best. Just focus on eating healthy 90% of the time, and the other 10% be reasonable. If you get off track a meal, let go of the shame and guilt and get back on track.  Getting back on track is the #1 thing that allows you to accomplish your goals. Don’t throw out all your progress because of one poor choice.

Challenge yourself to go beyond that first feeling of willpower fatigue, because you have more in you. Don’t plan to be perfect with your nutrition, because it’s not needed or realistic.

Cheers to your success!

 


I invite you to allow me help you create a sustainable nutrition plan that works for you! Call my office at 970-444-2121 or email me at [email protected], to book a 30 minutes one-on-one coaching call with me. In this call we will discuss what you have tried, where you want to go with your health and nutrition, and steps you need to take to get there. We will simplify your starting steps so you can live happier, healthier, and have more fun! 

Stay connected with news and updates!

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.

Subscribe
Close

50% Complete

Two Step

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.